A week later I made an appointment for a store in Bethesda-- Promise for the Savvy Bride. I initially contacted them to find out if they had any Herrera samples, and they did, but it was a mermaid shape. So I went, thinking I could try on some other ballgowns. Except when I got there, there was not a single ballgown to be tried! Now the girl I was supposed to work with was apologetic and tried to offer some other stores that may have ballgowns. If you're from DC and in the market for a slim fitting or mermaid style dress, this seems like a good place to start. It just wasn't for me!
Next I made an appointment at Vera Wang in Chevy Chase. Before I get into the details of the experience, I want to share something neurotic about myself: I have a "I'm not worthy" complex about expensive stores. I would never walk into a Cartier, Chanel, Louis Vuitton--whatever luxury store because I can't afford anything, not even a sock. I worship them in the pages of Vogue but out of some weird reverence (or just plain inferiority complex), I could never bring myself to just walk in and look ever so briefly. Perhaps I don't want to taunt myself with things I can't buy. The point is, I thought I was going to have some terrible averse reaction upon entering Vera Wang.
But I didn't. Crisis totally averted.
So at Vera (last name is such a mouthful) I was asked to fill out a little questionnaire, mostly to facilitate their future email marketing. My consultant then asked me about the ceremony (chapel) and how many guests I was expecting (about 50). Then she asked what kind of dress I was thinking of-- if you're a lady that wants a dress that isn't typical for your particular guest count/venue, be prepared for some looks. We all know I want a tulle mess. But this consultant wasn't yet aware of that and did her best to get me into more "appropriate" gowns. Now I didn't protest this because I was curious about these trumpet-y shapes and hell, they were Vera Wang.
I didn't take pictures because I pretty much forgot to ask. I was too busy wondering if I should be playing coy about flashing my boobs to the consultant in the dressing room or if I should just let nips slip as part of this whole duck and dive business.
But here's a general overview of the dresses I tried on:
They were all pretty but nothing cried out my name. I also need to mention the matter of the budget. I told her I was looking to spend $3000 or less, which was generous considering my budget. I came here more out of curiosity than with an intention to buy, though. Still, she showed me a good selection of gowns within those parameters, including a tulle ballgown.
That's right, there was a tulle ballgown on sale. It was almost the one from Bride Wars. As soon as I put it on I had that goofy smile--confirmation I was wearing a glorious tulle mess. It was under $3000 but at this point, my wedding was still over a year away and I just wasn't feeling the heat.
So the saga continues!
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment